Saturday 18 May 2013

A little dwarf



Another new micro-moth for the garden: Elachista canapennella! It was the only moth in the trap on Friday morning, and thankfully I managed to pot it before it flew off.

Being so drab and featureless, I thought it would probably be a gen det job but luckily for the moth it turns out it's pretty distinctive and such drastic measures were not required. Bill of Bill's Birding confirmed the ID on the Back Garden Moths forum.

Its modern vernacular name is the "Little Dwarf". I have to admit, I'm warming to some of Porter's names now...

Number 119 on the garden list and my 16th moth this year! Also got an adult Brown House Moth indoors yesterday - and I had a very productive larval search on Thursday morning which I'll write about when I have time. No new rearing projects - yet - but some nice caterpillars to keep an eye on in the field.

Trap Report 16-17 May 2013

25W Blacklight | @ home garden, Springmartin HVC39 J3074
8-7°C, B1, clear


 Elachista canapennella: 1 male [Y] [GY] [N] [GN]



No comments:

Post a Comment