Monday 20 May 2013

Action!

Wahey! The trap excelled itself last night - 6 moths of 4 species (including a Garden Cosmet which was across the yard on a windowledge, but it probably did come to the light).

New for the year were three rather skittish Flame Carpets. It's interesting to compare the wing patterns - they are all slightly different.





Also a first for the year was this little migrant, the Diamond-back Moth, Plutella xylostella. I am embarrassed to admit, I thought it was a Rhigognostis incarnatella when I saw it at first, a similar but larger and darker species in the same family. The long winter must have left me a bit rusty!

Looking a bit pink there in the cap of one of my specimen pots...



Trap Report 19-20 May 2013

25W Blacklight | @ home garden, Springmartin J3074 HVC39
Cloudy, 11-12°C, B1-2


 Mompha subbistrigella: 1
 Endrosis sarcitrella: 1
 Plutella xylostella: 1 [Y] [GY]
 Flame Carpet: 3 [Y] [GY]

Something else happened today, which I don't have time to write about now - probably tomorrow afternoon...




Spoilers... ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely Flame Carpets, Sam.

    And is that a teaser of your Brimstone...

    Hope you're not neglecting the revision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Dave :) Checking up on the moths makes a nice break from revision but no, exams are definitely taking priority. Which is (partly) why I was good O:) and didn't write an update today. It will be a long one, so I'll leave it to the weekend I think - the Brimstone goes all the way back to August last year so there's a lot to catch up on!

    ReplyDelete